Thursday, July 02, 2009

Holiday Party Goodies


So this weekend is the Fourth of July! It feels like summer is Officially On. And to help us get the party started, here are a couple very easy recipes I love for summer cookouts (I'm not much of a cook at all, so if I say it's easy, believe me it's EASY!)

Watermelon Martini:
1 part vodka (or citrus vodka, for an extra tang) to 1 1/2 parts pureed watermelon juice. Shake with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass




And for the grill, Veggie Kabobs (I think I got this from the America's Test Kitchen show on PBS, but can't remember for sure! It's got a nice Greek flavor to it)
Marinade
1/2 cup olive oil
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 cloves garlic, mashed

Veggies
4 medium-sized red onions, quartered
2 medium-sized green zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 medium-sized yellow summer squash, 1 inch pieces
12 button mushrooms, stemmed
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 package extra-firm tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 lb crumbled feta cheese

1) Mix marinade, stirring to blend ingredients
2) Place prepped veggies and tofu in 2-gallon ziplock baggie, pour in marinade and turn over to coat everything; marinate in fridge 1-4 hours
3) When ready to cook, remove veggies from marinade and thread onto skewers, leaving a little space between. Grill about 15-20 minutes, until the veggies are golden and tender
4) Serve warm with crumbled feta (and the watermelon martini!)

Add some music (maybe the Marie Antoinette soundtrack? Or the Beatles, or Bob Marley?), some sparklers, and you have a summer party!

3 comments:

Kwana said...

Can I start drinking at 10 am?

Amanda McCabe/Amanda Carmack/Laurel McKee said...

I see no problem with that... :)

Keira Soleore said...

I'm going to try the marinade and veggies but with over roasting since I don't have a grill.