Friday, July 02, 2010

Portrait Friday, Summer Reading

Since it's been so hot and humid here, and the 4th of July is this weekend (it always feels like the mid-point of summer to me, the downhill slide to autumn, even though here hot summer lasts until October!), I've been thinking a lot about summers when I was a kid. We used to go visit my grandmother in the summer, and she had a lot of land with trees and huge vegetable gardens, so I could wander around outside and play. One of my favorite things was to find a quiet, shady spot where I could read! I lost myself in Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, the Nancy Drew books, Betsy-Tacy, I Capture the Castle, Cartland and Heyer romances, anything I could get my hands on. I lived for the weekly trip to the library!

I miss those summers, when there was nothing to do but read and all the time to spend doing that. I still read in the summers of course, all the time! But this summer my reading is mostly research books and I don't have a hammock. I'm off to RomCon next week (if you're there, come and say hi to me!) so I need to choose some books for the car trip. I save romance novels for treats to use in times like that! I grabbed a few off my TBR pile to take, here is what I have so far--Sarah MacLean, Nine Rules to Break; Laura Kinsale, Lessons in French (been meaning to get to this for a while now!); Margaret Mallory's Knight books; Allison Chase, Most Eagerly Yours; Rose Lerner, In For a Penny.

What would you suggest I take on my trip? What are your all-time favorite summer books?












(I also have a little interview up at the Cover Cafe, talking about favorite covers! Come visit me there...)

No comments: