Thursday, May 19, 2005

In the beginning . . .

Okay, I have given in! I've followed the herd and started a blog. I resisted at first--I am soooo vanilla, my life so boring, that I was sure I wouldn;t have something even mildly interesting to say every day. But, heck, I'm a writer. I can't resist the chance for a little neurotic navel-gazing--with witnesses! I am so there. And this is my first entry.

A little about me--I live in Oklahoma with two cats who scheme to take over the world, a Pug dog who just schemes to get her dinner early, and a Poodle puppy who is just insane. I'm single--so you'll probably be hearing a lot about my Dating Adventures, brace yourself. 30 years old, going on 12, at least it feels that way most days. 30 sounds like it should be so mature, so "together", doesn't it? You'd think, but no. Almost all the time I feel like I should still be passing notes in American History class, angsting over getting a prom date. Speaking of notes, at what age did the note saying "Do you like me? Check yes or no" pass out of favor as a dating strategy? It sounds like a good idea to me. Anyway, yeah, 30. I have often tried to get my 24-year-old brother to trade ages with me, through some dark witchcraft spell or something, but no go. I think he suspects he would have to give up his mountain-biking, snowboarding ways for the joys of a "real job" and a mortgage, were he to suddenly find himself at the Big 3-0. Little does he know how much you can get away with if you're a starving artiste like me (bwahaha!).

When I'm not chasing the crazy Poodle around the house trying to get her to stop eating toilet paper, I sometimes do sit down and write. I have 10 or 11 Regencies from Signet on my shelf (check out my website, ammandamccabe.tripod.com, if you'd like to see them. Look for the extra from the road show of Grease as the "hero" on a couple of the covers). My first single title came out just this month--LADY MIDNIGHT, Signet Eclipse. Jeez, am I glad this book is finally on the shelves! I dragged it kicking and screaming into the world, and I'm so darned proud of it. It's a weird sort of historical, Gothic-y, slightly paranormal, up from tragedy into grand passion story, set in Yorkshire in 1820. It has a fab cover, too. And a hunkalicious villain. Am not sure where I go from here, career-wise. This is a time of huge transition for me (brace yourself for hearing a lot more about THAT, too). But I do know I want to try something different, something off-the-wall. More on that later . . .

1 comment:

Gena Showalter said...

It's an excellent book! One of my favs. Love, love it!