Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Office Supply Heaven


I have to confess--I have a strange, deep love for office supplies. I know, it's a terrible addiction, fed by blissful hours wandering around Staples and OfficeMax. File folders, post-it notes, colored pens, storage boxes--and I don't even need most of them!

Last weekend was tax-free on clothes and school supplies, so I trekked to Target (aka my favorite place in all the world) to stock up on my writing supplies for the year. I am what is known as a "pantser" (Carolyn Jewel had an excellent post on the difference between plotters and pantsers on her blog), I know my characters and have a vague sense of their situation when I sit down to start their story, but after that I go with the flow and let them show me what happens. This usually works out very well. I am completely unable to plot in detail ahead of time. I'm also unable to think creatively while typing. So my rough-draft method is a bit different.

I write the first draft in long-hand in notebooks from Target (mostly Hello Kitty or Disney Princesses, because they're fun, though sometimes I branch out. A couple years ago there were lots of "Pirates" notebooks. A friend bought me a Jonas Brothers notebook last week, though I'm not sure I can bring myself to use it...) This means I also get to buy lots of pens, colorful post-its, and a pretty pink pencil box! And then I type it up (cleaning it up as I go) and voila--a book.

What's your method??

1 comment:

Megan Frampton said...

I am in complete awe that you write long-hand, Amanda. I can't write more than a grocery list without my hand cramping.

For me, my writing method is typing a first draft, then thinking it's done, then getting feedback that says, 'uh, Megan, this is kinda sloppy,' and then going back to it.

Speaking of which, just started Super Sekrit Project Full Book. I've got over 1000 (sloppy) words so far!