Friday, January 29, 2010

Poetry Friday

To celebrate the release of my first Laurel McKee book, Countess of Scandal, with its Irish setting, I'm going to feature Irish poem and paintings all this month (and Irish Heroines of the Weekend, starting next Saturday!). This Yeats' poem is one of my very favorites....




When You Are Old

WHEN you are old and gray and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shadows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;

And bending down beside the glowing bars,
Murmur, a little sadly, how Love fled
And paced upon the mountains overhead

And hid his face among a crowd of stars.

1 comment:

Jill said...

This is one of my favorite poems, too. It gives me the chills thinking of a face hidden among stars. The images are almost biblical, like in Song of Solomon. It makes me want to write poetry, actually. Thanks, Jill