Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What I'm Reading

It's finally cold here!!! By the time, say, March rolls around, I'm tired of sweaters and scarves and only want sunshine, but in late fall I love it when the air turns crisp and I pile extra blankets on the bed and light a fire in the fireplace. It's also great weather for snuggling in and reading. I'm reading Jude Morgan's "Passion" right now, a historical fiction novel about women of the Romantic age--Caroline Lamb, Fanny Brawne, Augusta Leigh, Mary Shelley. It's very enjoyable, but I'm starting to realize that, somehow, these four very different women somehow sound, well, all the same. I've also been inspired by all the Janeite-ness in the air lately, and have been flipping back through Claire Tomalin's enjoyable Austen bio.

They also serve to keep me from having to rake the leaves...

2 comments:

Kelli McBride said...

Are all of them a bit whacko and obsessed? I only know something about Caro and Mary S. Very strange and disturbed women. Also, very smart and educated. It's a shame their lives were ruined by self-obsessed men, though I think Caro caused a lot of her problems.

Amanda McCabe/Amanda Carmack/Laurel McKee said...

Well, now I'm about 3/4 of the way through, and they're beginning to sound a bit different (alternating chapters are told in various viewpoints), though not quite enough. Mostly we're "told" that Caroline is kinda crazy, and Mary is supposed to be all sensible, and Augusta is a bit of a ditz. We don't actually see Fanny all that often, maybe because nothing is going on with her. :) It's an interesting book. There IS a lot of unhappiness floating around.