Sunday, April 05, 2009

Little Dorrit Part Two


Tonight is Part Two of the BBC's Little Dorrit! I was really enthralled by part one last week, despite the fact that this is definitely not fun escapism, a la Northanger Abbey. In fact, it's almost painfully prescient in the way it reflects this country's own current circumstances (massive debt, ponzi schemes, double-talking, unfeeling politicians!). The atmosphere is bleak and dark, characters solemn and secretive. And the cast is huge and complicated, even for Dickens (top-natch casting all around, too--but I can't help wondering where is Judi Dench, LOL). Yet I can't stop watching, and wondering what will happen next even I already know (nothing good!)

3 comments:

Keira Soleore said...

The sober and at time pathetic nature of Dickens's stories is what kept me from watching this series. I think, I prefer the, ahem, frou-frou of Edyta's fringe to this. I know. You're shaking your head aghast.

Amanda McCabe/Amanda Carmack/Laurel McKee said...

Nope--I also prefer fringe and tangoes to Dickens. But DWTS isn't on Sundays, so Masterpiece it is. :)

Kwana said...

I watched. I'm so into this very confusing story. I'm going to blog on it too since you can catch it on line.