Monday, September 19, 2005

Shiver me timbers!


Yes, it is the day you've all been waiting for--September 19, official Talk Like a Pirate Day. Bill kindly sent me this link, http://www.talklikeapirate.com/buzz.html. So break open some rum and enjoy! :)

This reminds me of the very first "real historical" romances I read, way too many years ago--Virginia Henley's The Hawk and the Dove. I was in about the eighth or ninth grade, and it was an amazing book. Set at the court of Elizabeth I, the heroine had the fabulous name of Sabre Wilde. She had long red hair and was very "feisty," always pitching fits and pulling pranks with the courtiers. I think she was out for revenge against the hero, but I can't remember why exactly. And the also wonderfully-named hero, Captain Shane Hawkhurst, was--what else? A pirate! Or privateer maybe, but it's all good. I LOVED it. Maybe I'll reread it in honor of this momentous day. :)

On the Risky Regency blog, I've also posted a list of some other great "pirate romance" titles. Check it out, or walk the plank!

3 comments:

Kelli McBride said...

One of my favorite pirate books is Laurie McBain's WILD BELL TO THE WILD SKY. Lord, I love that book. It too is an Elizabethan novel, and Valentine is more privateer than pirate, but there's plenty of boats, swashbuckling, and desert islands.

In fact, I loved quite a few of McBain's novels. I think I have three or four of them on my shelf.

Kelli McBride said...

I think it depends on the work itself. Is it garbage so nothing is added to the author's prestige or an understanding of him or his work? Or is it a revealing, important document?

Pope John Paul II wanted his personal papers burned after his death, but his executor or aide in charge of this didn't do it. He thought they were too important to burn. Considering the life of the pope, especially before he was pope, I would tend to agree with this decision to preserve these documents.

Amanda McCabe/Amanda Carmack/Laurel McKee said...

I agree with Kelli--it completely depends on the work and the intention. A long-lost poem by, say, T.S. Elliot that he hid away--probably. A tome by Marlon Brando--more doubtful. :) Though I tend to think it would be an absolute hoot!