Monday, July 24, 2006

Dating 101

So, this weekend my mother gave me a book she got on sale at Barnes and Noble--The Complete Idiot's Guide to Dating. Ah-ha, so now the truth comes out!!! She thinks my unmarried state is attributable to idiocy! I always thought it was due to laziness, or the fact that I'm a weird person who just needs another weird person, or something similar. I always thought I was not really a stupid person--I did finish college without my brain crushing under the pressure (except for Statistics, aka Math for Ridiculously Numerically Challenged Liberal Arts Majors, or All Your Knowledge of Medieval Allegorical Poetry Won't Help You Here. But that's another post...). I write books, work a job, keep 4 pets alive, have even had romantic relationships in the past, all sorts of things.

But the plain fact is--dating is haaaaaard! (Insert whiny voice here) Many is the evening I have sat at dinner with some guy I met at a party, or via a blind date, or during my very brief and completely ill-advised stint on Match.com, and wondered "What the heck am I doing here? I could be at home watching the Food Network. It's the Ultimate Iron Chef Challenge tonight." I don't like to talk to strangers in bars. I don't even like going to bars.

Yes, dating is hard and I am lazy.

Maybe this book will have helpful tips. I'll let you know once I read it, and maybe try to implement some of it's advice. In the meantime, I'm off to RWA National for the rest of the week. See you next Monday. :)

1 comment:

Betty S said...

Hope you're having a great and productive time.