Saturday, January 30, 2010

Heroine of the Weekend


This weekend we're going to do something a little different with our Heroine! This week marks the anniversary of the first publication of Pride and Prejudice, in 1813. It's been giving enormous pleasure for 197 years now (and looks no older than 20!) . To mark the occasion, and give thanks for this marvelous book, a few favorite quotes:



"What are men to rocks and mountains?"

"I have often observed how little young ladies are interested by books of a serious stamp, though written solely for their benefit"

"'He likes to have his own way very well,'...but so we all do. It is only that he has better means of having it than many others, because he is rich, and many others are poor"

"I hope I never ridicule what is wise or good. Follies and nonsense, whims and inconsistencies do divert me, I own, and I laugh at them whenever I can"

"To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love"

"I wonder who first discovered the efficacy of poetry in driving away love!"

"Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other, or ever so similar before-hand, it does not advance their felicity in the least"





"You could not have made me the offer of your hand in any possible way that would have tempted me to accept it"

What is your favorite Austen quote?

And be sure join us over the Riskies today, as we launch my new book Countess of Scandal (complete with giveaways!)

1 comment:

Alison said...

Brothers and Sisters of the same family, the same blood, with the same first associations and habits, have some means of enjoyment in power, which no subsequent connections can supply - from Mansfield Park